Monday, September 12, 2011

My Collection - Tonner Amazonian Warrior

The second addition to my collection of Tonner pieces showcases Diana in an original Amazon Warrior costume. (I hazard to guess that this look was inspired by the full body eagle style armor sometimes used in the comics. I have no real basis for that because I don't recall seeing anything to support that in any of the press releases.)

Wonder Woman Amazonian Warrior came out fairly soon after the previous post's doll. Diana's standard R,W, & B is replaced with a complete one piece gold outfit with a molded eagle breastplate and a gold sheer cape. Golden gauntlets, boots, and hoop earrings accessorize the attire. Instead of the standard gold tiara, she sports an eagle headpiece.

I remember when I first saw the promo photos for this piece I really liked the idea of what this outfit represented (that Diana is a warrior) . . . except for the headpiece. At first I really did not care for the eagle and thought it would have been better to use the standard tiara. My opinion on that has changed and I now think it fits the look quite well. I think the only thing missing from this attire is some weapons. In the comics whenever Diana dons any type of battle armor a shield or sword are usually included and I think it would have added to the Warrior look. And of course - there is no lasso of truth.





Tonner would use the eagle head piece again in their next release; the limited edition Justice Protector Wonder Woman. (An exclusive item for Previews Magazine).

I do not own this piece and I have to say that I think it is Tonner's worst/least successful original Wonder Woman attire. There is just something about the thigh high boots, loin cloth skirt and the eagle head piece that just screams tacky.

Thankfully this wasn't Tonner's last rendition of Diana and there further releases have returned Diana to an elegance and beauty that she so rightly deserves.

No comments:

Post a Comment