Saturday, September 10, 2011

My Collection - Tonner DC Stars

I first became aware of Tonner collectibles in the late 90's (around 96 or 97) when they released a porcelain limited edition doll recreating the silver age version of Wonder Woman. It was beautifully done and represented Diana in her standard hands on hips pose. I can't remember how much it cost at the time, but I knew it was something that most likely (and still is) out of my price range.

Thankfully it wasn't Tonner's only attempt at our favorite Amazon Princess and another version was released in 2007. Again, it was something that I was concerned might be out of my price range, however the magic of Christmas came and my fantastic partner surprised me with this amazing piece. Unlike the porcelain version, this one is completely jointed and can be posed in numerous ways. Standing 18 inches, she is stylized in Wonder Woman's contemporary attire with the stacked double WW insignia, blue starred shorts, red zipper boots and metal tiara, belt, and bracelets. However there is a slight change in this version - instead of the standard silver bracelets - this version's are gold.




Unlike the Barbie versions of Diana (and future Tonner releases) the tiara is a complete circular piece that can be worn under or over her hair (promo photos displayed it both ways as well). Since the release of this beautiful piece, Tonner has released numerous other versions of Wonder Woman and I've been fortunate enough to add two more of them to my collection and will be highlighting them soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment