Wednesday, August 24, 2011

The Odyssey has ended

Issue #614 was released today and it is the final issue of the Odyssey story line and the final issue before DC relaunches Wonder Woman next month with a brand new Issue #1 (along with 51 other titles). As I've said before I have truly enjoyed the story line presented through Odyssey and am sad to see it end. This journey provided us with a Diana that knew of her heritage, but had been raised in seclusion in the world of man. She was naive and brash, but not without determination.

That said I feel the last issue was a little bit of a let down. I mean yeah, I knew that Diana was going to beat her enemy and that her history would be restored and I am sad that its ending, two distinct things made it feel off for me. First, there are three pages of interactions with Diana and Hippolyta where the art work seemed to be done by a completely different person than the rest of the book - it felt like an addition (or a replacement) to the completed story. It was during these pages that the second thing I didn't care for emerged: Diana mentions that she "knows" something else is on the horizon and that things are going to change. We already know that because of DC's Flashpoint that histories are changing and that with the relaunch in September numerous things have been altered in the DC Universe. I felt this line didn't need to be there.

Overall, its been an amazing journey.


No comments:

Post a Comment